05 January 2009
A fondue set exploded in a man's face after he used methylated spirits to try to light it.
Pukehina Volunteer Fire Brigade chief fire officer Errol Watts said it was a timely reminder not to use accelerants in such circumstances.
The man, aged in his 40s, was with family at a house on Pukehina Parade on Saturday when they decided to have fondue.
Mr Watts said they had trouble lighting it so decided to pour on meths.
"But it blew up in his face," Mr Watts said. "He had burns to his face, head and hands.
"I wouldn't advise using meths to start a fire."
Actually, I'm still trying to work out how one would operate a fondue without a methylated spirits-powered rechaud.
A bonfire underneath, perhaps?
In that case, I definitely wouldn't use meths to start the fire.
Petrol's a lot more effective.....
Disclaimer: I AM NOT RECOMMENDING USING PETROL AS A FIRE ACCELERANT. (Can't be too careful...)